Saturday, December 27, 2008

Montgomery, Alabama

We left Birmingham about midmorning with less than a hundred miles to Montgomery.  The traffic was a little heavier than yesterday, but still not bad.  We started out with a few clouds which quickly gave way to bright sunshine and very pleasant temperatures in the mid 70s.  We are actually far enough south to see a little Spanish moss.  I think I’m going to like this.
A beautiful farm as seen from I-65 near Birmingham
About the time we cleared the Birmingham City Limits we saw a billboard advertizing free camping at Sun Coast RV Center.  I had my eyes peeled and my neck stretched to get a good look as we zoomed by at 65 miles per hour.  It looked like about 10 sites on the south end of their parking lot.  I couldn’t tell if they had hookups or not, but I suspect they had at least water and electric.  There were perhaps 5 RVs parked there.  If we had only known, that is were we would have stayed last night.
Woods RV Park in Montgomery, AL
Tonight we are at Woods RV Park just off I-65 in Montgomery.  As you can see from the photo, it is a large open park without trees.  There is a small pond at the back for fishing.  I was turtles sunning themselves there this afternoon and I expect to see water fowl of some sort (I hope a great blue heron).  We have free Wi-Fi and cable.  Cable is going to be a treat.  We have had only network TV since we left New York.  This is completely adequate for the 5 nights we plan to be in town, especially since we got Passport America discount for 3 nights.
A small pond out our back window at Woods RV Park

We got settled in today and made a quick Wal-Mart drug run this afternoon.  We also sat down with the brochures Gene picked up at the Welcome Center and our list of things we want to do and tried to make a tentative plan.  Tomorrow, unless it is pouring down rain, we are off to Tuskegee Institute and the Airman’s National Historic site.  We are excited to be doing some sightseeing again.
Adding Alabama to our State Map

No comments:

Post a Comment