Sunday, December 21, 2008

Just Four More Cooking Days 'til Christmas Dinner

Oh my gosh, the clock is ticking and today I was astonished at how much there is left to do to be ready for the holiday.  I thought I was so organized and on top of the situation.   Christmas Eve we spend at my parents’.  She usually has a few people over and in the past it has been a dress up, finger food kind of party.  This year, we’re into blue jeans and soup and cornbread.  Christmas day Gene and I will have a quiet breakfast, then Jack and Ansley will be here in the middle of the day.  My parents will be here mid afternoon and the rest of the family will arrive early evening for sandwiches.  Now, that doesn’t sound too complicated or stressful.  Of course, there is that next Christmas celebration with my brother and his family the following weekend.  While at mother’s today, we were making menu plans for the four days we will be down there.  With 9 people for dinner every night, that sounded like a monumental task.

We had a good visit with my parents this morning and enjoyed visiting at her church.  Then my dad made his famous Philly steak sandwiches for our lunch.  They were really good and I just love the smell of sautéed onions and peppers.

This afternoon I got started on the candy making. It brought back some memories.  I haven’t done much candy making in many, many years.  I did the easy stuff today—peanut clusters, white almond bark, and molded dark chocolate.  My cupboards are already full of cookies and I am having difficulty finding a place for everything.  It seems like a lot of sweets, but then I think of all the people here on Christmas day and those 9 folks in Georgia for 4 days and I wonder if it is enough to last.

This was a beautiful, sunny day, but it is bitter cold tonight.  The forecast is for 13 degrees.  We have decided to leave the water hooked up.  The hose and the water pipe both have heat tape and a generous coat of insulation.  I have my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment