Wednesday, October 8, 2008

An Unscheduled Work Day

Well, this day sure didn’t turn out like we had planned. We were to drive to Lancaster this morning, then go to the Fairfield County Fair with Gene’s brother and his wife. We were really looking forward to it. Neither of us had been to a fair in many, many years. I wanted to see the calves and eat fair food. The day got off to a bad start and got worse before it got better, especially for Gene. We woke up to pouring down rain. Not the best weather for going to the fair. Then Gene got a call from the office which kept him on the phone for a couple hours. We finally got started to Lancaster about 11. The rain had slacked off quite a bit, so at least that was something good about the delay.

We hadn’t been on the road long before the phone rang again and Gene was on the phone until after 5 pm. Instead of fair food, we had sloppy Joes at Doug’s (Gene got to work through lunch), then Doug, Cheryl and I visited while Gene continued to talk on the phone. Doug did have a chance to look at a few old photos I just happened to have with me, but he wasn’t much help. Even though he is several years older than Gene, he is just not old enough to have known most of the people in these pictures. We did have fun visiting and catching up on what’s going on with each of our families.

Finally, about 6:00, we were ready to head for the fair. I wish I had taken my camera. It was such a classic, old time, county fair that I would love to have a few pictures. But it was still raining a little when we left and was nearly dark, so I decided to leave the camera behind. I did get to see the calves as well as a few chickens, ducks, and rabbits. We had a hamburger for dinner and Doug got us all a sugar waffle, which we had never had before. Pretty tasty. My stomach will probably be really mad at me by morning.

It wasn’t the day we had planned, but it was a good day for me to visit with family. We can never get enough of that. Now it is very late; way past my bedtime. Maybe tomorrow we will make a little more progress with the family history.

No comments:

Post a Comment