Monday, October 27, 2008

The Best Birthdays Do Not End in Zero

This has been a day filled with birthday adventure from the time I got out of bed this morning until this present moment.  Yes, this is my birthday and Gene says I am now as old has he is.  We may have been born in the same year, but I keep telling him that I will never be as old as him.

My day started out with my sweet cat, Peanut, sleeping in.  Bless his heart.  He slept until 5:45 AM—45 minutes later than usual.  I did push the button on the coffee maker, but that is about all I have done today.  Gene prepared my breakfast of toasted bagel, yogurt and a banana.  I surfed on the internet for a little while then went over to my mother’s.  She and I went out for lunch.  The men folk were on their own.  Gene had left over chicken and steamed broccoli.  I think my dad had vanilla wafers.

It was nice to have lunch with mother.  We usually try to do that a few times when I am in town.  Because this was my birthday, she wanted to go somewhere a little special.  Someone had told her of a new restaurant which has opened not so far from her home.  She didn’t know the name of it, nor really where it was located, but we managed to find it anyway.  We were a little early, however.  They only serve dinner.  We went instead to City Limits and had a very nice lunch of soup and sandwich.  It wasn’t quite as nice, perhaps, but the food at City Limits is very good and we were more about being together and visiting than the food and atmosphere of the restaurant.

While I was away, my sweet husband not only did the laundry, he also did the ironing.  What a great birthday present.  This evening we went out for Mexican which we have both been craving for a long time.  There seemed to be very few Mexican restaurants in New York and none as good as our favorite just down the street from the house where Gene grew up. Well, actually our favorite is in Maryville, TN but that was just too far to drive.  On the way home we stopped in McDonald’s for a hot fudge sundae and now my stomach feels like it is about to pop.

Throughout the day, I got calls and emails from friends and relatives wishing me a good day.  It was especially nice to talk with my brother.

I may be up all night with a belly ache, but it certainly was a great birthday.  Thanks, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment