Thursday, October 23, 2008

Real Men Back Down

Contributed by Gene

We were assigned a campsite just before the curve in the road and next to the fence. It was high drama as Judi tried to back into the site and not take out the fence with the right fender. After she became exasperated, I tried. It was just as hard as it looked. So I tried a new angle. I wiggled and I woggled. After becoming exasperated, it was in the site. Phew. Between the two of us, it only took a half hour.

After having the trailer serviced we were assigned to a new site for our two month stay over the holidays. This time, no fence to clobber with the fender. And the road was wide. And I had a secret weapon. Jack the miner from British Columbia.

We had met Jack on our morning exercise walk. Well, we intended to walk. We ended up talkin' when we shoulda been walkin' (a la Earl V. Shaffer). During our chat with Jack I mentioned I was still no good backing up the trailer. Being a retired mining equipment operator, Jack knew how to back. He gave me this tip: Start backing into the space, then pull forward and straighten up. Go another iteration, pull forward to straighten. The idea is to slowly make adjustments and inch your way around.

This worked for me. Jack goes into our gallery of Helpful Highway Heroes. The shop manager in Mandan ND who personally fixed my pop up when it wouldn't pop up so I'd have a place to sleep that night. Camper Dan (that was the name of his store) in Williston, ND who came to our site and taught judi and I how to avoid the problem with the hitch we'd been having for 1000 miles. And now Jack the miner.

I now have hope that backing will become a little easier, but I never expect it to be easy for me.

God sent me Tom immediately after my backing triumph. Tom backed his 33 foot travel trailer into the site next to mine in one pass. I hear ya, God. Humility is good, and especially appropriate in my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment