Saturday, October 4, 2008

Finding Ourselves

As a child I spent a great deal of time at my grandparent’s house, that’d be my mother’s parents, down at Brier Pond in Hickman County, TN. My granddaddy had a farm with tractors, and mules, and wagons, and pigs, and a creek to swim in, a hay loft to play in, and old trunks with old clothes for dress up. My imagination could just run wild and it did. My mother would probably say I ran wild and I probably did.

Today, about the only thing left of the old farm place is the land and the creek. Now my imagination wants to know where my grandparents come from and why did they settle on Brier Pond, Hickman County, middle Tennessee.

My grandmother was forever telling me stories. She told me she was part Indian. She told me she knew Jesse James of outlaw fame. Now, I want to know how she knew Jesse James and what tribe her ancestors belonged to.

Each of us has a history and it is that history that makes us where and what we are today. I’m on a quest to find out all I can about the names in our family Bibles—Curp, Ashcraft, Lancaster, and Harper. This may really take the rest of my life, but I am going to make it a priority for the next 2 months.

We’ll start with the Ashcrafts in Newark, Licking County, Ohio. We’re headed there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment