Friday, October 24, 2008

A Lazy, Rainy Day in Nashville

The rain started sometime in the night and continued most of the day.  It is a slow, steady, soaking rain and greatly needed in these parts.  We each continue to complete chores on our lists.  We certainly won’t have time to be bored while in town.
My Aunt Betty and her daughter Joan
I used this drab day to get myself organized to work on family history.  I already have a lot of information and much of the genealogy back to the early 1700 so my focus is on seeing the area where the family lived when they migrated to Tennessee and hear the stories of their lives.  As in Ohio, I want to visit the cemeteries (most of the ones in my family were searched out years ago).  There is one that I think exists, but I’m not sure where.  I want to try to find that.  My mother’s oldest sister was born in a house in a place called Taylor’s Creek.  I’d like to find that, if possible.  Then there are the hours of plodding around the internet to find new information.  With Nashville being the state capitol, the State Archives is located here.  We may find ourselves spending some time there, as well.  I’m going to start with my mother’s father’s side of the family—the Lancasters.  I have quite a bit of information on them already, but am always looking for anything new.

First time ever to use disposable plates at my mother's.
As with Gene’s family, I also have a stack of photos which I can’t identify.  I have a little bag with paper, pen, my family notes, and the sack of photos.  It will be my constant companion.  This time I am going to add a piece of dark chalk or charcoal and parchment paper to do tombstone rubbings.  I regret not having that in Ohio for some of the stones which were too deteriorated to read.
Uncle Carl on his 80th birthday
Get ready for the stories to be told about my family.  They are many, they are varied, and they are all hysterical.  Perhaps the best thing we Lancasters do is eat.  If there is food, we are there.  And where the Lancasters are gathered, I am usually there with the camera.  Come along for this journey—it’ll be a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment