Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Day to Regroup

Boy, did I need a day to stay home, do laundry and a little cleaning, and to generally relax. It has been a whirlwind of activity for the past 10 days. It makes me feel my age. I really feel good about all the information I have been able to collect while we’ve been here. Between the internet research, conversations with family, visiting cemeteries, and just driving around the country side I have managed to put together a family tree for the Ashcrafts dating back thirteen generations to Richard Ashcraft born in England around 1600. It may never be completely finished and I will continue to work on the family connections, but not to the extent I have this week. I have been disappointed to not find any information about the Reids. So far I have not had a response to my inquiry on the Reid genealogy forum. Maybe I’ll get a lucky break there.
Always time for ice cream.

In between chores, I have been refreshing my memory on the Curps. They will be our focus for the next few days. This family came to America more recently than did the Ashcrafts, so I only have a few generations for the family tree. However, we have more detail of the members and, thank goodness, no unidentified photos.

Tomorrow we are moving south to Chillicothe. The Curps settled in the area sometime in the early 1800s. The family patriarch in America, Frederick Curp, was ordained in the Methodist Episcopal Church by Bishop Asbury, himself. He came to Highland or Ross County, Ohio from Pennsylvania to work for the church in that area. It is my understanding that there is a Curp Cemetery located on the church property where Frederick preached. We are hoping to find the cemetery where Frederick and his wife are buried. It would be a real bonus if the church building were still standing. So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment