Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Getting Back In The Groove

We love being on the road, but being back home has its advantages. We know where everything is—the ATM, the grocery, and where to buy tennis shoes. We each have great long lists of things to do while we are here and we started today “gettin’ er done”. It was nice not to have to Google who sells my brand of tennis shoes; I could just run over to the mall and march right in the store. While I was doing that, Gene got started on his Christmas shopping. He always gets done before I do. Maybe I should just give him my list. We also had to go to Kroger for a couple items. It can’t compare to Wegman’s in New York, but it is familiar and I didn’t have to spend time looking for the bread isle.

McDonalds is right across the street from Kroger so I offered to buy my husband a cup. As we were getting out of the truck, he reminded me that McDonalds now has cappuccino and other “fancy” coffee drinks. He told me I could get whatever I wanted. Well, yea, since I’m buying, I guess I can get whatever I want. I get whatever I want anyway, but it did not escape my attention that he never makes this speech when he’s buying. McDonalds seems to be changing its face. We have noticed it more in Nashville than anywhere else. This particular store is really pretty nice for a fast food hamburger joint. The dining area has several partitions creating smaller, more cozy areas. There are 6, that’s right 6, TVs, Tiffany style lighting, knick knack cabinets, a fireplace with a mantle, covered outdoor seating, and faux marble counters.

We are also enjoying being at Two Rivers Campground. This is an old established campground probably 35 or 40 years old, but it is well maintained. The thing we like about it are the travelers. They are actually people who spend a good bit of their time in their RVs. This summer we were in several campgrounds. Without exception, the majority of our “neighbors” were local folks who were out for the week or the weekend. We did not meet many people who were traveling either a great distance from home or for a long period of time. Since arriving here Sunday afternoon, we have met several folks who expect to be on the road for some time, mostly heading to Texas or Arizona for the winter. There are several rigs with Ontario or Quebec license plates. We met a man yesterday from British Columbia on a 2-year journey around Canada and the United States. This is special and we like it.

Our favorite part of today was having dinner with our daughter and son-in-law. We were celebrating his 30th birthday just a few days late. We are very proud of Jack, not only as one of Metro Nashville’s finest police officers, but also as a fine gentleman and outstanding husband. The best part of being home—hugs from family.

No comments:

Post a Comment