Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, this holiday is upon us and I’m in the thick of things in the kitchen.  First a few words about the RV issues we were dealing with yesterday.

We trotted on over to Camping World bright and early this morning with our broken Even Brake.  For $69 they ran a diagnostic and told us it was broken.  They recommended we send it back to Roadmaster.  They’d be happy to do for $400 plus shipping.  We figured we could do it ourselves, so we drove on over to the UPS Store and, hopefully, this afternoon it’s on its way to the West coast.

Since we’re not the original owners we had wondered how old that Even Brake was.  When Gene called Roadmaster this afternoon to get the shipping instructions, they asked for a serial number.  That’s when we got an idea about the age of the Even Brake.  The representative said they started serial numbers with 6000 and now they are up to 26000.  Our serial number is somewhere in the 8000 group.  Getting pretty old, I’d say.  Anyway, for $300 they will replace all the components and send it back to us like new.  Sure beats buying a new one.

There were a couple comments about exercising the motorhome engine.  Bob mentioned the use of Sta-bil.  This is a fuel additive that works some sort of magic in the fuel tank and is very helpful if the motorhome (or any vehicle) is sitting for a long period of time.  Sta-bil is for gasoline, but there is an equivalent product for diesel.  I’m really not a mechanic, so this stuff is way out of my league.  However, I do know this.  Whenever there was a conversation about exercising the engine to keep the seals lubricated, somehow the conversation always came around to a discussion about gasoline stabilizers.  I stayed confused for two weeks thinking they were somehow related.

By the time we got finished at Camping World and the UPS Store and got back home it was mid-afternoon.  I hadn’t even started my cooking for tomorrow, but we were having dinner with Jack, Ansley, and Kayley, so didn’t really have time to do much this afternoon.  I did get my eggs boiled and peeled for deviled eggs.

The other thing I’ve been assigned is cranberry salad.  I found a recipe which sounded yummy, but is a little involved.  After we got back home this evening, I got started with that.  It’s basically red jello with cranberries, apples, pineapple, and pecans.  The recipe calls for part orange juice instead of all water to make the jello.  I got that part done.  Tomorrow morning I’ll finish up with the cream cheese and whipped cream.

The last thing on my list to bring is sweet potato casserole.  That’ll have to wait until tomorrow morning.  The worst part about that is cooking the sweet potatoes.  Since I mash them anyway, I’ll probably just “bake” them in the microwave.  That’ll be a lot easier than peeling, chopping and boiling potatoes.

On this Thanksgiving Eve we want to give a great big welcome to our latest followers, Karen and Al at Rv Travels with Karen and Al.  Glad to have you tagging along.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone and thanks for tagging along.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Gene! Have a really great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to and Gene and Peanut!!..enjoy your day with your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you both! I am glad this year to be able to call you friends in real life as well as through the words of your blog. Looking forward to more hiking in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I boiled and peeled my eggs last night too. What's a Thanksgiving meal without deviled eggs? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to both of you and hope you have a great meal - that Cranberry Salad you're making sounds delicious! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete