Monday, January 19, 2009

Westward to Robert Louisiana

We have arrived safely at Hidden Oaks Campground in Robert, Louisiana just across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans.  We took I-10 to I-12 which bypasses the New Orleans area and for the most part the highway was in good condition.  There were a couple construction areas which were non problems because no one was working today. The one area of construction which did cause an inconvenience was at the Louisiana Welcome Center.  That rest area, as well as the next one, was closed for reconstruction. I was driving and the welcome center was where Gene was to take over.  We only had about 35 more miles to go to the campground, so it wasn’t a real issue.  However, I had been fighting the wind for a couple hours and was past ready to give up the steering wheel.  We had only one delay and that occurred on Highway 59 before we got to I-10.  There was a small parade which held up traffic for a few minutes.

Before I get on to the campground, let me just say that I was grateful to be pulling in the driveway; a place were I could get out of the truck and leave the driving til tomorrow.  Now for the campground.  You will remember my 3-point rating system—good for a long stay, good for a few days, good for overnight.  Gene thinks I should add one more category—don’t ever stay there again.  I guess this campground falls into Gene’s new category.

I was hesitant to pull into the driveway.  The potholes were so numerous and so huge, breaking an axle could have been possible.  I pulled up to the “stop here to register” sign and Gene went to the office.  It was locked.  The sign, which I could see from the truck, clearly said “open”, but Gene reported that there was also a sign which indicated they would return at 9 AM.  Back at the truck, Gene called the office, but, of course, the answering machine picked up. The manager pulled into the drive a few minutes later with some excuse about being away.  There were no registration forms so she recorded our information on a scrap of paper and we were told to select any spot to the left of the office since it was less muddy on that side.  Gene walked on ahead to scout out a site and I came along behind with the Montana in tow.  The interior roads are gravel, what is left of them.  Potholes reign supreme.  Gene was able to find a pretty dry, level pull-thru site which would accommodate our rig, but we had to drive through a shallow ditch to get into the site.  I fully expected to find the TV, microwave, and/or dishes in the floor when I opened the door.  All was well, however.  Great big kudos to Montana suspension systems.

It is a beautiful, sunny day in southern Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.  To stretch his legs a little this afternoon, Gene went for a walk around the campground.  He reported having passed one trailer which had a steaming pot sitting upon a grill and the aroma of red beans and rice filled the air.  We’re in Cajun country now.

We will be here one night only and continue our westward journey tomorrow for another 200 miles or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment