Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Peak Experience

We were up with the chickens this morning, literally.  Peanut and the roosters seem to be on a 5 AM schedule.  Gene told me we had 65 miles to go today so I took my time sipping my morning coffee and even enjoyed some of the Today show.  Hitch-up went smoothly; I even think we avoided stepping in any chicken poop.  As we made our way out onto US 19 southbound, I discovered we had 165 miles today, not 65.  We still managed to pull into our campsite in De Funiak Springs by lunch time.  It was a great travel day.  Both US 19 and I-10 were almost devoid of traffic and construction.  The sky was overcast so we didn’t have the sun to make an oven out of the cab.  It was very pleasant.

We are staying at Sunset King Lake RV Resort for two nights.  This is an SKP park and also a Passport America park.  We like the half price Passport America rate of $17.50.  From the looks of the RVs here, this is a popular snowbird roost.  The campground is on a nice lake with boat dock and fishing pier.  There is a restaurant, small chapel, game pavilion, group activity room, and pool, as well as all the other stuff usually available in campgrounds.  WiFi is available for a fee.  I would certainly put this place on my list to consider for a winter park.

We have two goals while we are here.  One is to get a little housework and laundry done.  It is suppose to storm tonight and be raining tomorrow—a good day for these chores.  The other goal was to visit the highest point in Florida which we did this afternoon.

I am a little confused about what the highpoint is called.  In my highpoint book it is referred to as Lakewood Park.  However, on the Florida map it is labeled “Briton Hill”.  Whichever, we went there this afternoon.  This was no New York Mount Marcy.  Lakewood Park is ranked 50th among the US highpoints rising to a height of 345 feet.  We didn’t even have to walk that far.  You could almost spit on it from the car.  We made a few pictures, signed the register (I was the second one today, the other being from Minnesota), and were back home within an hour.

We took a quick walk around the campground as the darker clouds began to move in and the wind picked up a little speed.  There is definitely a storm on the way.

By the way, Gene is wearing shorts for the second day in a row.  Now this is my kind of winter weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment