Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mason-Dixon Line, Not


Well, now, we ran into the rocks today.  They’re starting to get piled up for Pennsylvania.  The Keystone state is famous for its rocks along the AT.  I guess we had a taste of what’s to come.




I was hiking south again today and this rock pile occurred early in my hike.  I had the privilege of going up.  It really didn’t cover that much distance--maybe a half mile.  It took me 45 minutes to go up, three times as long as I usually need for a half mile.  There was some advantage for me--it was early in my hike when I was still fresh.  Gene got to go down the pile which is harder on the knees and it was at the end of his long day.


We really thought we’d get to the Pennsylvania state line today, but it didn’t happen.  Our parking lot was at Pen Mar County Park which is two-tenths of a mile from the state line.  After I drove back around to Pen Mar Park and met Gene, we walked what we thought was two-tenths mile.  Our guidebook seemed to indicate that the state line was at the railroad track.  There was no sign, but we didn’t expect a sign.  The parking lot directions indicated that both the Mason-Dixon sign and the state sign had been stolen.  We got to the railroad track and took pictures.  When we got home, we got out the new Pennsylvania guidebook and it confirms that the Mason-Dixon sign is no long on the trail.  However, it indicates that the state line is 50 yards beyond the railroad track.  Oh well, we’ll get it on Monday when we hike the next section.


That’s all I have for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment