Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm Down and I Can't Get Up


It all happened so quickly.  I was going about my business of getting the house keeping chores done yesterday, when suddenly my back said, “that’s it, I’m not doing any more”.  I felt the muscles in my lower back seize up and I could not do anything without assistance.  Gene managed to get me to the bed and that is where I’ve been for most of the time.

This is not the first time my back has rebelled against the rigors I put it through.  When I over exert myself and get really tired, the slightest bend in the wrong direction will cause those back muscles to cramp up.  One time when we were on a backpacking trip, I bent over brushing my teeth and it happened.  Yesterday, I was mopping the bathroom floor.  This is the same thing that happens to Gene; his most recent occurrence was last summer when we were at the Grand Canyon.

It happens to him so often, we generally have muscle relaxers on hand.  I have been taking those today and staying in bed.  We also have a back brace.  I wear that whenever I’m up.  About every three or four hours I get up to walk around a bit and go to the bathroom.  I am finally able to sit in a chair for several minutes.  That is so much better than this morning when I couldn’t even come down stairs.

Hopefully, tomorrow I’ll be able to start walking around the campground periodically.  I probably won’t be able to go back to hiking for a week.

Gene has been super taking care of my every need.  I suspect he is really grateful there were so many leftovers in the refrigerator.

So, that’s our status for today.   Now, it’s back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment