Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How Many RVers Does It Take to Screw In a Light Bulb?

Contributed by Gene

As dusk began to fall I switched on the wall lamp over the desk.  It flashed on – and then off.  Switch Switch.  No light.  The ceiling light worked so it appeared that this was a localized problem.

The wall lamp had two small bulbs.  Actually, we have four wall lamps like this one.  All 4 lamps use different bulbs.  I wonder why.  Anyway, this wall lamp at the desk has 2 round bulbs.  When I removed the bulbs, other than the top of the bulb being dark, they looked fine.  The filament appeared to be intact.  Couldn’t hear anything when I shook them.

“I hope it’s not the lamp itself,” I worried.  Judi suggested I check the fuse panel.  That is what the manual says, I remember.  It says to always check the fuse first.  How could she know that?  She never looks at the manuals.

I check both the alternating current and direct current fuse panels.  Everything was fine.

“Maybe it’s a loose wire,” said Judi.  Please God, I thought, just this once let her be wrong.  “I’m going to run over to Camping World for some new bulbs,”  sez I.

The parts man couldn’t see anything wrong with the old bulbs.  But since it was 5:20 in the afternoon, the tools were all locked up so he couldn’t test the bulbs with a volt meter.  He assured me new bulbs could be returned, so I accepted a package.  No price marked.  At the checkout I was prepared for the worst.  Some specialized RV bulbs, who knew what they might cost?  The answer was $2.18.

Back home I inserted 1 new bulb which burned brightly a second then went out.  On no!  A lamp that kills bulbs.  “Why don’t you check the fuses?”  Because, Judi, I thought, I already checked them and they were fine.”  But I checked, stalling for time to decide what to do next.

Imagine my surprise to see that a DC fuse had blown.

When the RV was new, in November 2005, I bought a package of 30 amp and a package of 15 amp DC fuses.  I bought them right after reading the owner’s manual about always checking the fuses first whenever there is an electrical problem.  I remember putting them away so they could be easily found when needed.  I wonder where that was.

Now that it was dark out, I grabbed a flashlight to go root around in my tool box and parts box.  Judi said, “Wait, check the kitchen drawer first.”  Why not.  Lo, I found them next to the Swiss Army knife and the candles.  Judi is good.  She is very, very good.

I replaced the 15 amp fuse, put the bulbs in the lamp, and switched it on.  Let there be light!  And brighter than before.  Hosanna!

I sat down to enjoy my triumph.  Then I thought I should put the fuses back before I forgot to.  Now, where did I lay them?

No comments:

Post a Comment