Friday, January 15, 2010

Better Safe Than Sorry


I know you will be surprised to know we are still at the Plantation in Summerdale.  We really intended to travel to Tallahassee today and got our rig ready to roll.  We were hitched up and sitting in the truck when we decided not to leave.

Here’s what happened.  As I mentioned in the January 12 entry, Gene had taken the truck in for repairs.  What he assumed was dead batteries turned out to be a failed alternator which was replaced.  The dealership checked the batteries and pronounced them fine.  This morning as we were preparing to leave, Gene noticed the truck was having difficulty starting.  It sounded just like the batteries were weak.

After hitching up we sat in the truck (with it running) and discussed what we should do.  Even though it would have been easy to just pull away and head on down the road, we decided it was in our best interest to have the batteries checked again.  It would be far better to be parked in a comfortable campsite than broken down on the interstate.

We quickly unhitched (leaving the truck running) and Gene went down to the Ford dealership while I put the slides out and just waited.  There still was a chance we would head out today, if Gene was able to get in the service bay in a timely fashion.  When Gene returned, he had 2 new batteries.

As the hour hand reached noon and Gene was still not back with the truck, I decided it was unlikely we would leave today.  To occupy my time, I decided to bake a batch of scones.  It was a good idea in theory, but this may be one of those things not especially suited to RV cooking.  My small hand mixer was not up to the task of blending the butter into the flour.  I anticipated a small mess, but I was quite shocked when I turned the mixer on in that big bowl of flour.  It was like a volcanic eruption and a small mushroom cloud formed in my kitchen.  I finally got a ball of dough rolled out, cut, and in the oven.  Mike and Gerri came by about the time the first pan came out of the oven.  Although the scones weren’t visually attractive, they pronounced them good enough to eat so I packaged up a few for delivery around the campground.  Sweet Gene helped me clean up the MESS in the kitchen.

We’re still going to Florida, but it will be on Sunday.  The rain has already started and is forecasted to continue through tomorrow.  Since we’re not fond of driving in the rain, we’ll just wait another day.  What a blessing to have such flexibility in our schedule.

So, today didn’t turn out like we expected; who knows what adventure tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment