Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tye River to Reeds Gap


We enjoyed a quiet and restful Sunday.  A load of hiker clothes in the laundry and a quick run to the grocery were the only things that got us out of our chairs.

Chimney Rocks
Today was like a repeat of our last hike--big climb up from the river, over the mountain (in this case Three Ridges) and down the other side.  This time, Gene got to do the big up hill while I got the easier side of the mountain and the big descent to the Tye River.


There were some great views today.  The rock outcroppings provide fantastic vistas.  The weather was great again today, as well.  We started out a little cool with temps in the high 30s, but I soon shed my jacket and we ended up the day with temps in the low 60s and a light wind--just about perfect for hiking.  Above 3500 feet the leaves are small still and don’t provide much protection from the sun.  Have to be careful of sunburn.


We passed two shelters today; one at either end of the hike.  They weren’t located well for a good meeting place for lunch so we just stopped where we met along the trail.

The Three Ridges

The Priest
With this hike, I have closed the gap on this section of the trail.  I have now hiked all the Trail from Springer Mountain in north Georgia to Lewis Mountain Campground in Shenandoah National Park--900 miles of the AT.  I’ll be doing some of that over again as I hike with Gene the next couple of weeks.

Hanging Rocks Overlook
On today’s hike, we crossed the Three Ridges--a series of three ridges we climbed as we made our way to the summit of the mountain.  I don’t know if the mountain has another name.  Rock ledges along the way offered outstanding views.  A half mile below the summit on the south side is Hanging Rock Overlook.  There were great views from here, also.  The 100-foot suspension bridge over Tye River (named for an early explorer) was built by the US Forest Service.


We have an event coming up this weekend which I feel most of my readership may need some preparation.  As a means of preparation, let me introduce the term “hiker trash”.  Gene and I throw this term around at each other often when we do something that would seem a bit bohemian in a more civilized society.  I had to use that term last night at dinner when Gene, Mr Hiker Trash, proceeded to butter and eat hotdog buns with his herb crusted fish, creamed spinach and wine.  He informed me that true hiker trash would drink his wine out of the bottle (or box) not a glass.

That’s it for today.  Enjoy the photos, but remember they can’t convey the wind whistling through the trees, the birds singing, the sweat in your eyes, or your throbbing feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment