Monday, December 7, 2009

Sweet Treats for the Holidays


During our time in Nashville each winter, we are usually invited to a number of social things and dinners or lunch with friends.  We also like to take a small gift to those hosting parties, the TTA newsletter party, and a few family members.  Tell me, is there anything better than chocolate for these small tokens of appreciation?


Today, was candy making day around here.  Over the course of about 30 years of candy making, I have settled on three items that have become my favorites--almond bark, peanut clusters, and truffles.  Besides being good, they are all very easy to make.


For the almond bark, I toast slivered almonds in a low oven until they are slightly golden.  After they are cool, I stir them into melted white chocolate.  I usually use the chocolate wafers that I get at Hobby Lobby.  White chocolate morsels available at the grocery are also fine.  Spread the warm mixture out on parchment paper in a layer about 1/4 inch thick.  When completely cooled, break apart into bite-sized pieces.

The peanut clusters are even easier.  Stir a can of salted peanuts into a pound of melted milk or dark chocolate.  Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper.  Allow to cool completely.  I put the chocolate in the microwave to melt.

The truffles are a little more involved, but still not complicated.  I found this recipe in the 2006 Taste of Home Best Holiday Recipes magazine.  In a microwave safe bowl mix 1 can sweetened condensed milk with 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels.  Heat on 50% power until melted.  Stir in 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.  Chill this mixture in the refrigerator until it is cool enough to handle.  Shape into 1-inch balls.  Roll the balls in baking cocoa, flaked coconut, finely chopped nuts, and/or candy sprinkles.  How easy is that for something that looks so complicated.  This recipe makes 4 dozen.

Cookies are also a great gift.  I’ll get into the cookie making next week.

Now my focus is keeping Gene from eating all the goodies before they can be delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment