Monday, April 21, 2008

What A Deal

I use my crock pot a lot. When I worked, it was really nice to have dinner almost on the table when I got home in the evening. I often have a crock pot meal on days when we plan to be out sightseeing or hiking until late in the afternoon. Since we have been living in the RV, anytime I want a roast, I use the crock pot instead of the oven. The pot I have now is old, maybe 15, (I’m surprised it is still working), one of the handles is cracked and coming loose, and the crock is chipped. Plus, it is really too large just for the two of us. So Thursday as I was putting it back in the cabinet, I told Gene I was thinking of getting a new one and cited all the above reasons why this one wasn’t good enough any longer.

Friday morning, I put a couple slices of bread in the toaster for breakfast. I like Friday mornings—it’s toast bar day. That’s toast with your choice of toppings. I always put out the butter, cinnamon sugar, cream cheese, jelly, or jam, but what I always put on my toast is peanut butter and honey. I love it. Anyway, I pressed the lever down on the toaster and it didn’t catch. It took several tries to make it work. So I told Gene I guessed I’d get a new toaster instead of a crock pot.

After breakfast, I got in the shower. As I was drying off, I heard a loud crash and the shattering of glass. Peanut, my darling cat, had pushed the coffee pot off onto the floor. I told Gene I guessed I’ll buy a coffee pot instead of a toaster.

I can’t see much point in getting up in the mornings if I can’t have coffee right away, so it was pretty important to get onto the business of getting a new coffee pot. Since this campground is not located in the heart of a shopping district, Gene and I discussed at length our schedules for the day trying to figure out the best time and place to get a coffee pot. We didn’t want to spend more in fuel than the price of the pot. The decision was made for me to pick up a pot while out for lunch with my mother and aunt.

Target was the closest “discount” store. I might just say here that I hate to shop. I hate to shop for groceries, clothes, household appliances. I hate to shop. About the only way I can deal with it is to decide what I want, go in and get it, then get out. I was running into Target to get a coffee pot with about 12 minutes to spare before meeting my mother for lunch.

I was looking for a coffee pot, not a robot. I didn’t need buttons, dials, buzzers, lights, or control panels. Just a coffee pot. So I didn’t even stop to examine those coffee “makers” with price tags of $79. I didn’t even look at the ones for $29. Way down at the end of the shelf was a red tag marked $7. That’s the one for me. Well, that was easy and really cheap (Gene will love it). I could get a toaster, too. I refused to even look at the toasters that were larger than my kitchen counter, but down at the end was a red tag marked $7. Wow, what a bargain. I could get a crock pot, too. I am sorry to say the crock pot that was $7. was just too small. I had to pay $18. but still feel like I got a great deal.

1 comment:

  1. things always need to be bought in threes!!..bad things happen in threes!.so good things should too!!..a new coffee maker, toaster and crock pot?..wohoo, you did well in the shopping department today!

    ReplyDelete