Saturday, April 12, 2008

Look Out, I'm Driving

We are back in the Knoxville area on our way to Nashville staying at the Raccoon Valley Escapee Campground were we were for a couple nights before going to South Carolina. Thankfully, we had a very uneventful 125 mile drive yesterday.

Gene had spent some considerable time worrying about how he was going to get out of the site we were in at Woodsmoke Campground. It had taken a lot of effort to get in there and it was the same S-curve to get out. Apparently, the campground road had originally made a loop. The road is still there that goes on up the hill and turns to go down toward the entrance, but it is now blocked off. All the campsites are back-ins angled toward the road that is now out of service. Out of our campsite and onto the road that angle was about 45 degrees and with trees all around. The campground owner came up to help us get out and he and Gene were mightily surprised to see me behind the wheel. The only way out was to pull as far up into the site across the road as possible then back out up the hill. That all went very smoothly except for a rock about the size of a basketball, half covered by leaves, that I, nor my guides, ever saw. It was not a problem, however, since I was barely creeping along trying to get as close as I could to the outside of that angle. I simply rolled square against the rock and stopped. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn't move forward any more. Then we discovered the rock. No damage done, plus I got the extra backing up practice to get around it.

There were 5 interstates to use to drive that short 125 miles--I-26, I-81, I-40, I-640, and I-75. None of those interstates had much traffic yesterday, for which I am eternally grateful. All of the interstate exchange ramps were to the right, for which I am also grateful. One thing that we noticed (and commented on) was how slowly everybody seemed to be driving, especially the truckers. Our trailer tires are rated for 65 mph so we stay pretty steady about 63. That is mighty slow for the interstate drivers and we are usually passed like we are standing still. There was one trucker and only a handful of cars that zoomed past; most were just poking along like us. It certainly made for a pleasant drive and I felt much more comfortable driving today than in the past. Practice is good.

The highlight of my day was the redbud. It must be in full bloom in this area.

We will be here 2 nights. Gene has a meeting in the Knoxville office this morning and I will be catching up on the laundry I saved because I knew this campground had a good laundry facility. Then, on to Nashville Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment