Thursday, April 17, 2008

Nashville, Tennessee

We are in our home city, Nashville. Both Gene and I claim to be Nashvillians by virtue of the fact that we have lived here most of our lives, he more than I.

Gene came to Nashville with his parents in 1959. They bought a house in the Donelson area and his mother lived in that home until her death in 2005. Until we started traveling, Gene had lived in Nashville all these nearly 50 years with the exception of the time he was in college at MTSU in Murfreesboro, a mere 30 miles away.

I came to Nashville in 1957 and also lived in Donelson. However, I left the area after high school, not to return until the early 80s. Almost 30 years should qualify me as a native plus my parents and most of my mother’s family lives here.

Gene and I met several years ago on a hike with our local hiking club, Tennessee Trails. We discovered that we had grown up living only about a mile apart. He, as a child, used to ride his bike along my street, we were no doubt at the local movie theater at the same time for the Saturday matinee, and I’m sure he was among the gang at the skating rink on Friday nights. What a small world.

We will be in town for 3 weeks doing what I suspect most fulltime RVers do when they come home—doctor’s appointments, take the cat to the Vet for shots, visit with family and friends, and have the annual service done on the RV. Because I know there are some of you who are not from around here, I am also going to visit some of the places around town that are popular destinations for tourists and post pictures and commentary as though I were a first time visitor.

Nashville is a large city with an area population of over a million. It is the capital of Tennessee. As such it has many things to do and see—Country Music Hall of Fame and the Grand Ole Opry, Centennial Park with its replica of the Parthenon, the Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson, Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, and the Frist Center for the Visual Arts. I am looking forward to my tour of my home town and I hope you will enjoy it, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment