Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spinach Capital of the World


We could not leave Arkansas without a visit to Alma--spinach capital of the world.  And what do you think of when you think of spinach--Popeye, of course.  Alma is the home of the spinach division of Allen Canning Co.  A small city park on Main Street has the statue of Popeye and the town water tank claims to be the world’s largest can of spinach.  To me, it looks more like a water tank painted green, but whatever.  It was pouring down rain when we tried to see these attractions, so the photos aren’t very good, but you get the idea.



We started the rainy day out with a stop at Starbucks.  Haven’t done that in a while.  We enjoyed our coffee while reading magazines.  After a while we pulled ourselves away and headed to the grocery.  We were in the car and driving out of the parking lot when a young man came running out of the store flagging us down.  He had noticed I had forgotten my camera which I had hung on the back of the chair.  What a fine young man.  It was my little point and shoot, but it still costed $300 and I would have been so up set to have lost it.


As promised, I have included a couple photos of our campground.  I sorta got carried away with trying to get pictures of the water fowl.


Tomorrow morning we’ll continue our westward journey with a destination of Oklahoma City.

That’s it for today.  Thanks for tagging along.

No comments:

Post a Comment