Friday, August 29, 2008

Lazy, Stay At Home Day

This day didn’t turn out exactly like we had planned. This being Friday before the holiday weekend, we were required to move to a different campsite. That was because we failed to make a reservation far enough in advance of the holiday to have a full-hookup site. We were lucky to get a site at all for this weekend, even 2 months ago. We have known all along we would have to move. That is no big deal and it was part of our plan. Then we were going to the grocery and after lunch to one of the state parks in the area to do a little hiking.

Our change of plan really got started several days ago. Gene was doing something and bent over or twisted in the wrong way to cause his back to start hurting. He has been stretching and walking and trying to be careful until it is back to normal. This morning, however, with all the bending and twisting associated with hitching up and unhitching, his back truly and earnestly went out. He was coming up the steps into the Montana with the air compressor in his hand when the spasm occurred. He immediately dropped the air compressor and stretched out on the floor to ease his back. He did literally drop the air compressor. I guess it’s a good thing he didn’t drop it on his toe or the cat. He wouldn’t have had to put more air in the rear truck tires if Mike at the Ford dealership hadn’t deflated the tires so much. Gene took the truck in for regular service yesterday afternoon which included rotating the tires. He explained to Mike that he needed 75 lb of pressure in the back tires because we haul 14,000 lb of house in the truck bed. I guess Mike didn’t think that was necessary. Anyway, Type A personality that Gene is, he always checks the tire pressure before hitching up. Thus, the whole deal with the air compressor. After we got moved to the new site he was bringing the compressor inside for recharging because the tires were so low they had depleted the compressor battery. I guess you’d say our day didn’t get off to a good start.

Gene stretched and then he walked while I finished getting things back in order after our move. I went to the grocery in order to have lunch then I stayed at home the rest of the day. I love being at home and I love just piddling around the house. While I piddled I noticed the campers around me. They are pulling in, putting fun lights on their awnings, and sitting in their lawn chairs. They are apparently happy and content to just be sitting and reading or talking to their spouse or neighbors. This is almost like my grandparents sitting on the front porch, waving to the folks who passed down the road, and talking about how well the garden is doing. How refreshing.

I enjoyed my day and I enjoyed the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment