Monday, February 16, 2009

The Tax Man

‘Tis tax season, and my tax man was hard at it all day today.  He sequestered himself at his desk and stuck with it until the task was done.  He declared along about the middle of the afternoon that he really didn’t like doing tax returns.  Well, I guess this was just too much like his 30+ year career in accounting.  Tomorrow it will be back to retirement.

I occupied my self with a few household chores, some reading, some knitting, and a nap.  I baked a batch of brownies and hatched a plan for getting a little more of the Appalachian Trail done next year.  Gene noticed that that little monster reared it’s ugly head again.  It all happened a couple days ago when the mail came.  Along with all the various tax forms was the AT Journeys magazine.  What can I say?  That trail is in my blood.

We are winding down our stay in the Rio Grande Valley.  There are a couple more things we want to do.  We are tentatively planning to leave here next Monday.  I have been trying to hold off on my final judgment, but after two weeks in the area, I don’t think I am real impressed.  The wind is a constant factor in daily living.  It is usually pretty calm at night and not to bad in the early morning and very late afternoon.  However, that 12 hours in between can be brutal.  It is definitely warm here.  We have had temperatures in the high 80s most of last week.  It is a little cooler today, but will be back up there tomorrow.  I don’t know if the warmth outweighs the wind or not.  At least the wind is warm.

This evening we are having friends over for dessert—thus the brownies.  Tomorrow is a big grocery shopping day and then we are planning to run over to Mercedes, TX after lunch.  It should be a fun day and the only tax thing will be to drop the completed forms off at the post office.

No comments:

Post a Comment