Tuesday, July 15, 2008

You're Getting Old When.....

I really don’t think of myself as old even though I am “of an age”. When I was a child, I thought of my mother as old when she was an age far younger than I am now. At that same time, I thought of my grandmother as really old, almost ancient. Lord, I am now only a handful of years younger than she was when I was having those thoughts.

Occasionally, I am reminded that I am getting to be on the high side of young. I sometimes wake up with aches and pains that had not previously been there. A few years ago I would have been concerned with such aches and pains, wondering if I should see a doctor. I always chose to wait around to see if it got worse. I finally realized it was just one of those things that goes along with aging. I sometimes forget where I put something, or the purpose for coming into the bedroom, or whether or not I took my calcium tablet. For a while I made lists to remind myself of what I was not suppose to forget, but I so often forgot to look at the list that I finally quit making one. My concerns over these things have given way to laughter.

Last night, I spent a lot of time laughing at myself. I had fixed a salad for dinner. I always use a cutting board to slice vegetables. After the dishes were washed and dried, I remembered that I had used the cutting board, but it was not among the dishes washed. I found it in the trash can. Ha, Ha. Wander how that got in there? I always set up the breakfast coffee in the evening before going to bed. I caught myself just as I was about to put a big scoop of oatmeal in the filter. Ha, Ha. Now wouldn’t we have been surprised in the morning? We were still laughing about the oatmeal when we climbed (maybe crawled is a better word) into bed. We had another big laugh about the stains on the bed linens which were caused by the leather of Gene’s wallet which I had washed along with the sheets earlier in the day.

Gene assures me that none of these things matter so long as I know who I am and why I am here. And I can always use a good laugh from time to time. I just wish it wasn’t quite so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment