Thursday, June 26, 2008

Finger Lakes Region

We tried to get ourselves oriented to the area this morning. We needed groceries and fuel. Finding those two things usually gets us pretty familiar with driving around the local community. Our campground is located about 5 miles north of Geneva were the closest grocery is located. I always like shopping at new grocery stores and this one (Wegman’s) was very fine, indeed. It looked like it had just opened for the first time—everything was clean, the shelves were fully stocked, and the produce and meats were artfully displayed. They had a coffee bar with a variety of coffee beverages to choose from. The bakery was pretty remarkable all by itself. We knew we were in New York by the variety of bagels. I was also impressed with the deli which offered everything from sushi to Thanksgiving turkey. I was pleasantly surprised that the prices did not seem to be as outrageous as I had expected. In fact, my grocery bill was about what it always is wherever I shop.

I wanted to make a list of a few things to see while we are in this area. That is easier said than done. When I spread the brochures before me on the dining table, I was amazed at the number of things to do. We could spend every waking moment touring the wineries and not see them all. I knew this was wine country, but who could have imagined what that really meant. The Cayuga Wine Trail follows Route 89, a designated scenic byway, along the western shore of Cayuga Lake. That sounds like a good place to start.

Very high on our “must do” list is Niagara Falls. That will be a long day trip or we may choose to stay overnight. Either way, it is a priority and we will be watching the weather forecast for an ideal time to go. Not far from our campground is Seneca Falls, the birthplace of the women’s rights movement. Women’s Rights National Historical Park is another “must do” for this trip. We enjoy bicycling and we have already noticed that there are bike lanes on the roads we have driven. The Erie Canalway Heritage Trail is nearby as well. There are several state parks which offer hiking trails. I am particularly interested in the Great Lakes Seaway Trail. There are swamps and wetlands in this area which will be great places for bird watching and photography.

Rochester is not so far away where there are several art museums (including the Eastman International Museum of Photography) as well as historic sites.

This campground wants to keep its campers happy and occupied, I guess. They have activities planned for a couple days every week throughout the summer as well as several potluck dinners. I don’t think we’ll get bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment