Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Back in Waynesboro, Virginia


We had an uneventful drive from Nashville yesterday.  Traffic was reasonably light except around major cities, and even then we managed to avoid rush hours.  I think the most stressful spot was around Roanoke, Virginia.  I-81 northbound is in desperate need of repair.  The road surface condition coupled with heavier traffic, especially big tractor trailer rigs, made this a most unpleasant half hour.

Break in Simmons Gap
We were all glad to be back in our own bed last night.  I think we all, including Peanut, slept like logs.  Peanut continued with that sound sleep throughout the day today.

This morning we were eager to get back on the trail.  After 5 days without hiking, I found myself struggling to get up the first hill.  By the end of the day, however, I was all limbered up and felt remarkably well.


We picked up where we left off last week at Ivy Creek Overlook.  Again, Gene and I hiked together for about the first half of the total distance.  At the top of the unnamed mountain just north of Simmons Gap, we took another short break before I turned around to head back to the car.

Our day was foggy to start then cloudy.  On my return trip, I got rained on for about 20 minutes.  Gene only got a few sprinkles.  He got to hike over Hightop Mountain this afternoon.  Even with the cloudy weather, he reported having a few views.  Since he didn’t have the camera, I will include a photo from my hike over that mountain from 2008.

View from Hightop Mountain

The trail maintainers were out with their weed-eaters today.  It is so nice not to have an overgrown trail.  They also trimmed the low hanging branches.  Thanks a million.

Tomorrow will be another long hike from Hightop Mountain parking area on Skyline Drive where Gene stopped today to Booten’s Gap. After tomorrow’s hike, we will be halfway through the Shenandoah and past the 900 mile mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment