Friday, December 19, 2008

Good Grief, It's Goodwill

We finally have a day that is pretty pleasant in Tennessee, but the weatherman has already cautioned us not to expect it to last very long.  By tomorrow night it should be cold and wet again.  But we have enjoyed this day with a little sunshine and open windows.

Our outing this morning was to the grocery for a couple items for dinner tonight.  Since we were going out anyway we put the last of the stuff going to Goodwill in the truck.  I actually think we have finally gotten everything redistributed that was in storage at Gene’s office.  The Goodwill store that is closest to us is next door to Hobby Lobby.  I needed a few boxes and some bows for Christmas packages so while Gene took our treasures to Goodwill I ran in Hobby Lobby.  I was really good and only got those things I needed to complete my gift wrapping, however, for those in need of seasonal decorating items, this was the place to be.  Everything was 50% off.  I might have been tempted if I hadn’t just spent the entire week trying to dispose of accumulated junk.

It didn’t take Gene quite as long to drop off the stuff at Goodwill as it did for me to pick out bows and boxes.  I found him fingering the merchandise in Goodwill.  He found himself 2 shirts.  One is a Tennessee Titans denim shirt.  It is almost like new.  I guess someone donated it last year when the team wasn’t playing so well.  It wasn’t on sale so he had to pay full retail--$5.  The other shirt is also an almost new long sleeve dress shirt with a tiny Bank of America logo on the pocket.  He was all excited—it was his size, his color, and it was half price--$2.50.  This Goodwill store also has a huge selection of books.  We each got a book to get us started on our upcoming adventure.  I selected Texas Rich by Fern Michaels.  I have never read anything by this author so have no idea if it will be to my liking, but I thought it appropriate for a winter in Texas.  Gene selected  Caesar by Colleen McCullough.  We know of her from Thorn Birds fame so this should be good.

We did almost nothing this afternoon except relax.  I tried to get rested up from my cookie baking day and a late night visiting with our neighbors yesterday.  Of course, there was the daily vacuuming.

For now, I need to feed sweet Peanut.  He is running around like a wild cat, because he thinks he may drop over dead from starvation if food doesn’t appear in his bowl within the next 5 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment